[CT Birds] Silver Sands controversial buildout halted for now.

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 16:54:16 EDT 2017

>From Gayle Slossberg

This week, the General Assembly's Environment Committee gave bipartisan
approval to a bill I introduced to halt the controversial buildout of
Silver Sands Beach State Park.
Senate Bill 605 ensures the state could not pursue this controversial
construction project at Silver Sands without approval from the town of
Milford. This bill would establish a moratorium on construction of the
project until such time as the Milford Board of Alderman votes to approve

Hundreds of people have spoken their opposition to this major construction
project being proposed for their community, but their concerns have been
ignored. The passage of this bill will put Milford residents on equal
footing with the state officials pushing the buildout of Silver Sands,
which will help us reach a fair conclusion that can be supported by the
people who would be living with the effects of this project.

The Silver Sands proposal, which is currently estimated to cost
$10 million, has been in the works for some time now. Public hearings held
in Milford attracted hundreds of town residents. We have repeatedly asked
the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) to provide
information explaining why this buildout is necessary, and whether it would
damage the neighborhood and endanger local wildlife. To date, DEEP has not
responded to our requests for information. I have submitted a Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA) request to DEEP in order to obtain more information
on this project. It is my hope that this FOIA request will give us the
information we want on this project. I will be sure to keep you updated.