[CT Birds] King Eider at the Cape Cod Canal

Jaho326 at aol.com Jaho326 at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 14:55:27 EDT 2017

If any one is interested in seeing or photographing an adult drake King
Eider, there is one that is swimming with a flock of 200-300 Common Eider
along  the Cape Cod Canal near the Herring Run Recreation Area (830 Scenic
Highway,  Bourne, MA).
We talked to several local birders who said the flock has been in the same
area for the past few weeks.   The flock including the King Eider is
swimming very close to shore providing excellent opportunities for viewing and
photographing.  Birders are coming from all over to see it because it's a
rare opportunity to see one so close.
We just got back from a quick trip to the Cape.  I had seen reports on
e-Bird so we decided to stop on the way at the Herring Run Recreation Area  and
take a look. We parked the car, walked down the steps to the Service Road
and it was right there, about 20-30 feet off shore.  It was swimming with a
large flock of Common Eider, would dive down and circle back to the same
area.  We saw it again on our way back home about 1/4 mile down from the
parking lot.
If you decide to go see it, you can probably check e-Bird to look for
recent reports to make sure it's still there.
If interested, I posted a picture on my Flickr photostream:
Good Luck!
Janet Holt
Monroe, CT