[CT Birds] CACC-Ospreys are back!

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:38:35 EDT 2017

3/29  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 10am-1PM, sunny, low
tide rising, 50-55F.
Our ospreys are back.  They were spotted in the vicinity for a few days,
but this morning, the male was on the nest several times.  The female
osprey joined him around 10:25am on the nest, then they flew next to each
other circling, on the marsh.   Spring is officially here, in my opinion.
On the marsh:
16 AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, about 45 GREEN WINGED TEAL,  1 NORTHERN HARRIER
cruising,
 6 AMERICAN WIGEONS (3 pairs), 6 NORTHERN SHOVELERS (4 male, 2 female),  2
RED BREASTED MERGANSERS, 4 GADWALLS, 16 MUTE SWANS
and a huge flock of BRANT (estimated at 175, maybe more).  This flock was
far out on the marsh near the mouth of the Housatonic most of the morning,
then at noon, they all took off.  They circled the far side of the marsh
about 9-10 times, then flew towards the sound.  It was an incredible sight
watching them all circling together.  Reminded me when there is a flock of
starlings moving in unison.
On the grounds & feeders:  1 male CARDINAL, 2 SONG SPARROWS, 8 GRACKLES & 2
AMERICAN CROWS.
A visitor came in with a photo she took of a gull, mostly white, some light
gray on back, with either pink or yellowish bill(depending on lighting in
her photo)-that was on the sound. The head was very white.
I told her to post it for ID, since there have been unusual gulls sighted
in the area.
Bev Propen, Orange