[CT Birds] possible "Black" Brant, Seaside Park Bpt, 3/26

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 10:10:10 EDT 2017

Yesterday late morning there was a possible "Black" Brant on the lawn
at the west end of Seaside Park in Bridgeport, with about 400 Atlantic
Brant. The "possible" tag is on the bird for now because of a thin
white necklace that barely connects in the front. I am not familiar
enough with variation in Black Brant to know if this is within range
or an indicator of an intergrade.

For what it's worth, so far one goose expert with extensive "Black"
Brant experience has been contacted, and he believes the bird to be a
good "Black" Brant, noting that the thickness of the collar itself
does not much matter, and that everything else on the bird looks fine.
So, if you like Brant, keep an eye out for it.

I'll post some photos to my blog within the next day or two.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com