[CT Birds] Captains Cove Bridgeport

James Hunter hunterj at wiltonps.org
Wed Mar 29 18:14:03 EDT 2017

March 29 from 4:45-5:45

300+ scaup when I got there and closer to 500 when I left. Also 2 ruddy ducks, 5 redheads - all female- 2 canvasbacks, 20 lesser scaup. There was a female Aythya that had a longer set of feathers on the head. Saw briefly but most of the scaup (some as close as 20 yards) we very busy displaying and as a result of competition the birds were flying all around the cove. Also 1 peregrine flew around a bit and put a scare into some of the ducks. There were also 200+ brant in the cove.

Also a report from another birder that the osprey that lives at the platform in the cove was on the nest at earlier times today.

There was also 1 phoebe seen on the other side of the cove at the sewage treatment plant.

Jim Hunter
Bridgeport, CT.

Sent from my iPhone