[CT Birds] Difference between Audubon Connecticut and Connecticut Audubon Society?

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 21:38:57 EDT 2017

Hi Eric,

That's a good question and confusing to many! Connecticut is home to a variety of Audubons, all with good missions and dedicated volunteers. Here's a quick rundown of the four big birding players in Connecticut. If I make any mistakes, anyone, please correct me:

Connecticut Audubon Society : a very active, membership-based not-for-profit organization focused on bird habitat, ecology, and advocacy in Connecticut. They have facilities in Glastonbury, Milford Point, Pomfret, the Birdcraft Museum in Fairfield, own/maintain 19 sanctuaries, and have paid staff. They run many walks and programs for members and the public and are an active voice for conservation in Connecticut. Their website is http://www.ctaudubon.org .

Audubon Connecticut : this is the Connecticut chapter affiliated with the National Audubon Society, and is very active in Connecticut also. They own/run facilities at the Bent of the River Preserve in Southbury; the Greenwich Audubon Center; and the Sharon Audubon Center. They are active in both state and national advocacy and offer many walks and programs for members and the public. Members join National Audubon and are able to participate in any of seven local chapters, which are: Audubon Greenwich; Litchfield Hills Audubon; Mattabeseck Audubon; Menunkatuck Audubon; Naugatuck Valley Audubon; Potapaug Audubon; and Quinnipiac Valley Audubon. Their website is http://ct.audubon.org/ .

Connecticut Ornithological Association : This all-volunteer organization is devoted exclusively to birds, birding, bird habitat, and the scientific study of birds, with a little advocacy thrown in. It's the clearinghouse for the "hard core" birders in the state, offers trips and lists trips from other organizations on its website, runs the ctbirding listserve (which is how you're getting this), produces high quality publications, and holds an annual conference. Their website is http://www.ctbirding.org/

Hartford Audubon Society : This is a separate, all-volunteer not-profit organization dedicated to bird habitat, ecology, and public education. Founded in 1909, HAS owns three preserves, runs many trips and birdwalks for members and the public, and participates in advocacy with other groups. Their website is http://www.hartfordaudubon.org/

So, you may ask, which one should you join? I'd say, join CT Audubon, Audubon CT, AND COA, and join HAS if you're in the greater Hartford area as well. If you're outside of the greater Hartford area, you can participate in the local Audubon CT chapter activities, or CT Audubon center activities. In any event, please do support as many of them as you can. They all do slightly different things but are united in the mission to offer quality birding opportunities to the public, to educate members and the public about birds and habitats, and to being advocates for habitat preservation and sensible environmental protection.

Sarah Faulkner, Collinsville