[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest and NE Ct.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 22:23:45 EDT 2017

I have been going to the Yale Forest area in Ashford/Union  now for several
weeks, and while it has been overall fairly quiet (as expected  this time
of year) it is slowly waking up, with some interesting observations. 2
singing male Winter Wrens Friday and what I believe was a female  a week  ago.
(Responded to a call but did not sing). An Osprey about 3 weeks ago almost  on
the Ashford/Union line. Three Red-shouldered Hawks, 2 at the nest that was
built  3 years ago and active last season and fledged three juveniles. I
didn't observe any breeding behavior but one bird was sitting in the nest,
though it flew when the other called from 200 feet away.
Ebird below.
Also, 3 of the 4 osprey have now returned to the 2 Osprey nests  I am
monitoring for CT Aud. in Ashford and Eastford. The Ashford birds are  back and
very active, including mating. 1 bird present at the Eastford marsh,  sitting
on a snag, but no sign of the mate. Possibly the female because I  believe
the male would be on or around the nest, working on it. Hopefully mate  will
return or be replaced.
A troubling observation. I believe a pair of Ravens have built  a nest on
the Ashford cell tower about 5 feet almost directly below the Osprey  nest.
Hard for me to believe there will not be conflict between these 2  species.
NOTE: I see many Osprey in other locations in Eastern Ct, but  the only
other nests known (to CT Aud) are in  Brooklyn. I am certain there are others
around and if anyone knows of other  nests or an area where OS are frequently
seen please let me know.
Re: Brown Creeper song. What I take for the Creeper's call note  is really
the 1st note of the song, I believe. Similar to the way BT Green  Warblers
use parts of their song as a call. Probably lots of other birds as  well.
Apr 7, 2017 10:00 AM  - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
31 species