[CT Birds] Bston Hollow/Yale forest, Ashford/Union % FOY in the area today

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 20:49:11 EDT 2017

Windy, cloudy and cold, rather nasty day to be out of the  car. But 5 new
species for the year in the area today. 1st Mallard (odd, usually  a few
around) 1st Great Blue Heron, which are now pretty much back in their  breeding
areas (7 nests occupied in Eastord at the marsh with the  Osprey).
FOY for me were 1 Palm Warbler, 1 hermit Thrush and 2 singing  Blue-headed
Vireos, which EBird says are still rare in the area. Not sure I've  ever had
them any earlier in CT. However, I did report 2, FOY for April 15,  2015
and I don't think EBird found that rare then. These could possibly have  been
there on the 12th, since I was not.

Apr 13, 2017 8:30 AM  - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments:      Windy and cold. Some species less vocal and or harder to
hear than usual
33  species

Mallard  1     FOY in BHYF
Great Blue  Heron  1     FOY in BHYF
Turkey Vulture   5
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning  Dove  8
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   7
Downy Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  15
Blue-headed  Vireo  2     FOY 2 singing In Ashford near Barlow Mill Rd.
Possibly the earliest I've found them in Ct
Blue Jay  10
American  Crow  3     2nd time I've found them in the area this year.
Uncommon there, because the Ravens don't like to share their territory I  think.
Common Raven  2
Tree Swallow  2
Black-capped  Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  15
White-breasted Nuthatch   2
Brown Creeper  3
Winter Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird   2
Hermit Thrush  1     FOY
American Robin   18
Louisiana Waterthrush  6
Palm Warbler  1      FOY
Pine Warbler  12
Dark-eyed Junco  2     39  Barlow Mill. Most of them are gone now.
Song Sparrow  1
Northern  Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  7
Common Grackle   1
Brown-headed Cowbird  15     Mostly calling in the  woods near Boston
Hollow Rd
American Goldfinch  3

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct