[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest: 2 FOY, Super Sapsucker!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 19:50:26 EDT 2017

FOY Broad-winged Hawk, Black-and -white Warbler. Numbers of  other regulars
are increasing. I only got the Black-and -white because I stopped  to talk
to someone on the way out and the bird sounded off literally right next  to
us. Been looking for 1 for 2 weeks now. 39 species  high for the season  so f
ar.

I always stop at the beginning of Boston Hollow Rd (dirt  portion) to get
my gear out for the day. A few days ago I had just opened the  car door when
I almost hit the dirt because it sounded like a machine gun had  opened up
on me. It wasn't till I recognized the uneven rat-tat-tat of a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that I realized what it was. But what a sound -  like no
Sapsucker you ever heard! I looked directly across the road and  there is a metal
sign that says "no hunting",  and I finally found him on  the tree trunk just
below the sign. And when he did it again all hell broke  loose as he
pounded on the  bottom of the sign.
And today, he got me again. I think he was lying in wait. Hope  all the
local Sapsucker honeys are as impressed as I was. That racket must carry  a
quarter mile. I suppose it could have been worse - a  Pileated.
By the way, I think the number of Sapsuckers in the Yale Forest  has been
increasing since I started going there. I'm sure they are now the most
numerous woodpecker, with Downy a distant second.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6lepreuid9ksw4u/AACa661s3zzyv29lJ4btnQoOa?dl=0
click  x in white box to see pics

Apr 16, 2017 8:30 AM  - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
39 species

Wood  Duck  3     2 m 1 f at pond crossing on Kinney Hollow Rd,  Union
Mallard  1
Wild Turkey  1
Great Blue Heron   1
Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1      FOY
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  7
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  9
Downy Woodpecker   1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  20
Blue-headed Vireo   8
Blue Jay  16
American Crow  1
Common Raven  1
Tree  Swallow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  25
Tufted Titmouse   12
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  4
Winter  Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  15
Louisiana  Waterthrush  9
Black-and-white Warbler  1      Stopped on my way out to talk to someone
and he sounded off literally right next  to us. Been looking for 1 for 2 weeks
now. I don't believe this is rare for the  date in this area.
Pine Warbler  25     Pretty much all  the birds or at least the males are
back now and pretty much every mature white  pine has one singing. This is a
major breeding area for Pine Warbler. 25 is a  very, very low estimate
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Chipping  Sparrow  7
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Song Sparrow  3