[CT Birds] Hamden - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Apr 11, 2017

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Tue Apr 11 23:28:52 EDT 2017

Hamden:  Mather;  Waite;  Whitney Upper L. Whitney cycle.

Highlights:  2nd year Bald Eagle, hassling with Osprey.  5 Turkeys *flying* (after their fashion) from N to S across the Mather/Treadwell bay.  2 Pied-billed Grebes.  A big bunch of Gadwall, especially given the paucity of other ducks.  FOS Barn Swallows I've seen.  GBHE nesting continues.

Some pictures on e-bird and on CT Audubon Birds FB page.

RWA & their contractors are re-fencing and clearing brush from Waite St. causeway -- taking out some good nesting sites along that stretch.  I hope they'll only trim N. side this year.  I do think they are a bit aggressive in clearing out;  perhaps we could find a compromise here.  (Although years ago, they kept it much more manicured, so this is an advance for birders.)

Arthur Shippee
	Hamden