[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 22:24:06 EDT 2017

Rather quiet today, probably because of colder temps. Still  most of the
species but in some cases less birds.  Couldn't check  northwestern Union
since the road was closed because of  a sinkhole  (which I reported yesterday).
Rotted out steel culvert that carries a stream  under the road. They worked
on it today, so hopefully, open  soon.
I had a pair of Palm Warblers foraging together today, which I  thought
might have been male and female, but according to Sibley there is no  variation
by sex. But one of the birds was our typical Palm and the other had a
noticeably whitish belly and was paler overall. It matched the picture of a
"western" Palm in Sibley quite well.

Apr 18, 2017 8:45 AM  - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
36 species

Turkey  Vulture  3
Osprey  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed  Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  6
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern  Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe   12
Blue-headed Vireo  8
Blue Jay  15
American Crow   1
Common Raven  2
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped  Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse  12
White-breasted Nuthatch   4
Winter Wren  2
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin   15
Louisiana Waterthrush  6
Northern Waterthrush  1   Likely same bird as yesterday. Now singing
frequently
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  2   Apparent pair, foraging together
Pine Warbler  25   In this area a very common nester. Nearly every mature
white pine  has a pair. Undoubtedly a very low estimate of birds seen and
heard.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow   12
Dark-eyed Junco  2