[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; Ashford/Union: FOY 3 Eastern Towhees

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 21:05:08 EDT 2017

Slow day, probably because of the March temperatures and the  nasty wind.
FOY
Eastern Towhees, undoubtedly came in last night. No songs but  their
distinctive calls heard loud and often. I saw 2 of the 3, all up in Union.  None
of the 4 Black-and -white's I've heard recently today, and either they were
silent because of the weather or moved on, which seems unlikely. At least 2
Broad-winged Hawks today, 1 calling, 1 soaring and 1 that flew right down
the  middle of Boston Hollow road and landed on a branch 15 feet high and
about 10  feet from where I slid to a halt. We stared at each other for a
minute, then he  flew off. I'm guessing it was the 1 I heard calling earlier.
Guess he misses  me.

Apr 19, 2017 8:30 AM  - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
33 species

Wood  Duck  1
Mallard  1     There has been a pair of  Mallards in the Yale Forest for
years and I'm sure this is the male. His mate  did not return this year. I see
him every day in one of the small ponds or  Bigelow Brook, just floating
around. I have seen no other Mallards in the area  so probably no immediate
chance for a new companion. I feel sorry for  him.
Wild Turkey  1     What's with all the single  turkeys this year? Every day
I see 1 turkey, always a different location and at  least once, a young
looking male. Don't they travel in flocks any  more?
Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed  Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  13
Red-bellied Woodpecker   2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  6
Pileated  Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  15
Blue-headed Vireo   8
Blue Jay  18
Common Raven  2
Tree Swallow   4
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse   12
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
Winter Wren  2
Eastern  Bluebird  2
American Robin  10
Louisiana Waterthrush   6
Pine Warbler  10
Chipping Sparrow  15
Dark-eyed Junco   1
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  3     FOY -  obviously came in last night
Northern Cardinal  7
Red-winged  Blackbird  8
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird   15