[CT Birds] Boston hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, 4-23-17; 4 FOY, fallout

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 20:08:07 EDT 2017

With excellent weather for a change, the birds were  celebrating, making
today a great one to be in Boston hollow.  4 FOY  species; Ovenbird,
Black-throated Green Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and an  early Great Crested
Flycatcher.
There was a heavy fall-out today in one area, and although the  species
were not unusual the sheer numbers certainly were. In the swamp on  Barlow Mill
Rd (left turn off of Boston Hollow Rd just south of the wooden  bridge)
about 100 yards past the intersection were 3 species: Ruby-crowned  Kinglet and
Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers, possibly hundreds of each. Because  it is
a swamp it's impenetrable, and at very best you can only see in 40 or 50
feet, but the birds came right out to the road in the mowed grass, And I  was
standing in the middle of the road not more than 8 feet from them  again
and again. I could hear all three singing  around me. It's unusual  for me to
hear Palms at all and I had to look carefully to be sure I was hearing  the
Kinglets, since I barely knew their song before today. I've seen fall-outs
before but this one was just plain fun. No need to even move to see all the
birds you wanted, on the ground, in the bushes, in the tree-tops.
I believe the specialty du jour was black flies since they were  everywhere
and I needed repellent even with the help of the birds. I reported  Ebird
numbers I know I can justify, but probably saw several times more of each.
42 is my high species count for the season so  far.

Apr 23, 2017 8:15 AM  - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
42 species

Wood  Duck  3
Mallard  2     If it was the same male, he  seems to have found a female
companion!
Broad-winged Hawk   1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  7
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  8
Downy Woodpecker   1
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Phoebe  12
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     I clearly  heard the emphatic and Rough"
REEP REEP REEP REEP!"  call, which is unlike  any other bird I know of.
Blue-headed Vireo  11     Very  common bird in the Yale Forest. They seem
to have settiled in now and were  happily singing in the beautiful weather.
There was almost no location I was at  where none could have been heard.
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven   1
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted  Titmouse  10
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper   2
Winter Wren  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  6     FOY.  Undoubtedly many more. part of an amazing
drop-out with Yellow-rumped and Palm  Warblers possibly numbering in the
hundreds. In the swamp on Barlow Mill Rd,  with very limited visibility. I
could hear All three birds singing all around  me. I seldom even see RC
Kinglets in the Yale Forest area.
Eastern  Bluebird  2
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  15
European  Starling  1
Ovenbird  1     FOY. First bird I heard,  at the beginning of the dirt
portion of f BH Rd.
Louisiana Waterthrush   10
Northern Waterthrush  4
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Palm  Warbler  15     I can be certain of 15 but number is  ridiculously
low compared th what was there. Great fall-out of Palm  and YR  Warblers and
RC Kinglets. They were in the swamp at the beginning of Barlow Mill  Rd, and
there could easily have been 100 or more. On the ground, the bushes and  the
tree tops hawking insects.Just as many YRWA. Many still there hours later
when I left for the day.
Pine Warbler  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler   25     Great fall-out of Palm  and YR Warblers and
RC  Kinglets. They were in the swamp at the beginning of Barlow Mill Rd, and
there  could easily have been 100 or more. On the ground, the bushes and
the tree tops  hawking insects.Just as many YRWA. Many still there hours later
when I left for  the day.I can be certain of 15 there but number is
ridiculously low compared to  what was there. In addition I had at least 10 at
other  locations.
Black-throated Green Warbler  1     FOY.  Singing at the BH Rd gravel pit.
Chipping Sparrow  15
Song  Sparrow  6
Eastern Towhee  3
Northern Cardinal   5