[CT Birds] "Bird Watching" Exhibition

Nancy Kuhl nekuhl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:15:26 EDT 2017

Dear Ct-Birds Readers--

By way of introduction, my name is Nancy Kuhl--I am a long-time reader of
the CT Bird List and I am a Curator at the Beinecke Rare Book and
Manuscript Library at Yale University. I write today to tell you about an
exhibition I've organized at the Library that I hope may interest you. The
exhibition is called *Bird Watching*, and it will be on view from May
5-August 12, 2017.

My exhibition gathers books and manuscripts, notebooks and correspondence,
in an exploration of that activity—part scientific endeavor, part leisurely
pastime—that we call “bird watching.” Seeing and identifying the birds
around us gives many a sense of connection to our natural world, even as
the very creatures we watch have long symbolized the untethered flight of
the spirit. *Bird Watching *documents the real lives of birds—their forms,
their songs, their behavior—in word and image; the exhibition honors, too,
the birds of fantasy and wild imagination. Together these reflect something
of the ongoing human fascination with the life of the skies.

*Bird Watching *is a relatively small companion to the Library’s main
summer exhibition: *Happiness: The Writer in the Garden*. The exhibitions
celebrate the gardener’s satisfaction at looking into the face of a blossom
and the birder’s joy at finding something unexpected and special in a
familiar place. You can find more information and details about
exhibition-related events online here:

Beinecke Library exhibitions are always free and open to all, Monday, 10 am
- 7 pm; Tuesday - Thursday, 9 am - 7 pm; Friday, 9 am - 5 pm; Saturday, 12
- 5 pm.

With best wishes—

Nancy Kuhl

Curator of Poetry, Yale Collection of American Literature

The Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University