[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 4-22-17; More lousy weather, FOY Barn Swallow

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 22 18:39:01 EDT 2017

As usual the partly sunny weather forecast turned to dark  overcast and 2+
hours of heavy rain.  For the most part, everything being  very quiet
(probably shivering in the 43* weather - oh how I wish global warming  were not a
myth). Still birds findable though, including some in new places,
indicating the migrants are dispersing. FOY Barn Swallow with a large group of  Tree
Swallows, foraging over the millponds in the rain. Found at least 1 new
singing Winter Wren today in a location I never heard one before. Not far from
previous spots though. Also a male and  female foraging together. 4
singing Yellowrumps indicates a decent number are passing through the area. As
usual I expect a couple of pairs to stay.
Apr 22, 2017 8:20 AM  - 1:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments:      Rained hard part of the time. Birds quiet but findable. FOY
Barn Swallow
37  species

Canada Goose  3
Wood Duck  4
Mallard   1
Wild Turkey  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker   3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  8
Blue-headed  Vireo  6
Blue Jay  10
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   35
Barn Swallow  1     FOY with large group of Tree  Swallows during heavy
rain shower
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted  Titmouse  10
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper   3
Winter Wren  4     3 singing males and one accompanying  female
Eastern Bluebird  1
Hermit Thrush  1
American  Robin  12
Louisiana Waterthrush  6