[CT Birds] Barn Island Highlights 4/24

Dyl Pedro pedrodyl at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 09:57:48 EDT 2017

This morning I hiked a good portion of Barn Island's trails.
Starting from the north end of the 1st Impoundment (trail just past the railroad bridge) I heard my FOS Yellow Warbler. Didn't hear any rails here but it was somewhat later in the morning than when Phil had them.
I then hiked south to the upper part of the 2nd impoundment, where I had a couple of Blue-grey Gnatcatchers and saw another Yellow Warbler. Greater Yellowlegs, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, and a Great Blue Heron in Impoundment 2.
>From there I walked to the edge of the saltmarsh south of Impoundment 3, which was where a lot of the action was. From here I saw and/or heard:
1 Tricolored Heron, on shore of wooded island SW of Impoundment 3. Preening a lot

1 American Oystercatcher, on shore of Barn Island proper
1 Short-billed Dowitcher
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
1 Least Sandpiper
1 Black-bellied Plover 4-5 Eastern Willets
My return to my car lead me back to Impoundment 1 on the south end this time, where the continuing Yellow-crowned Night-heron was hunting crabs, and finally up Palmer Neck Rd., where I had my FOS House Wren.

As I drove to work with my windows down, I heard a Louisiana Waterthrush singing along Farmholme Rd. in Stonington by chance.

I'll post a couple of photos on eBird eventually.

Dylan Pedro
Waterford