[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/yale Forest, Ashford/Union, 4-24-17 2 FOY, another nice day

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 20:51:44 EDT 2017

FOY: 1 tiny Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 gorgeous  Savannah  Sparrow, possibly a
first for me in BHYF. The most Northern  Waterthrushes to date; I don't
remember a year with more. And definitely the  same for Blue-headed vireos.
Season is starting off very  well.

Apr 24, 2017 8:20 AM  - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
38 species

Wood  Duck  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1     FOY and a bird I seldom see  here
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning  Dove  10
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  6
Northern Flicker  6
Pileated Woodpecker   2
Eastern Phoebe  12
Blue-headed Vireo  12      Very common breeder here. Undoubtedly a small
fraction of the birds  present
Blue Jay  15
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   4
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse   12
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Winter  Wren  3
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  20
Louisiana  Waterthrush  9
Northern Waterthrush  7
Black-and-white  Warbler  3
Pine Warbler  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler   8
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow   20
Savannah Sparrow  1     FOY and possibly the first  I've ever seen in BH/YF
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee   4
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  6