[CT Birds] Yale Forest, part 2

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 22:29:27 EDT 2017

Birding:
Start  birding right where Boston Hollow Road turns to dirt. There are
swamps on either  side of the road there and that location can be a real hot
spot.  There is no spot that does not  potentially have birds. I strongly
suggest  that you stop frequently, shut off the car and look and listen. You can
get out and walk too, of course, but Boston Hollow is a steep, deep and
very  narrow valley, and a car makes a great blind. For most of the way  north
there will be a narrow swampy area on your left. Pay particular  attention
to the wet areas. Pull as far to the side as you can when stopping.  Traffic
is quite light most of the time (a little more on  weekends).
When  you reach a small wooden bridge you have reached the end of Boston
Hollow Road  (1.8 miles). 100 yards before the bridge there is a left turn.
(Barlow Mill Rd;  no sign but you can find it on  Google maps, along with the
rest of the area). Because it's more open (no  valley) there is somewhat
different habitat, but still a lot of birds. The road  roughly follows Bigelow
Brook, which flows down from Bigelow Hollow in Union. At  about 1.3 miles
the dirt turns to pavement as you cross the Union line, and the  name of the
road is then Kinney Hollow Rd. (No sign there).
Just  past 2.6 miles the road turns sharply left and uphill, but you can
continue to  bird for about another half mile, although some of the land is
private.  Be  sure to check out the small ponds you will pass between. If you
keep going,  eventually you will come to Rt 190, and a left turn will take
you to I-84 at  exit 73, if that's the way you want to go. Otherwise turn
around on Kinney  Hollow Road and retrace your route.
The  birding throughout this area is excellent, but it can be difficult.
Good hearing  and knowledge of bird songs is a great advantage. The one thing
I will guarantee  is that you will hear far more birds than you will ever
see.  If you hear  something, stop, shut off the car and wait. You  will hear
quite a bit more in  a  minute or so.
Sadly,  I have no high-frequency hearing at all, and can hardly hear any of
the birds  naturally. However I have a birders hearing aid called a
Songfinder which lowers  the pitch of the calls and allows me to hear them. Before
I got it I didn't  often find much in the Boston Hollow area.
Let  me know how you make out, and if more information is needed you can
email me  directly.

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com