[CT Birds] Boston Hlw/Yale Forest, 4/28/17; 5 FOY, Looking like a record year

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 19:14:41 EDT 2017

I think this is already the best birding year I've had in the  Yale Forest
and many of the species aren't back yet or are just arriving. Ebird
questions the numbers but I am trying to keep careful count, particularly  on the
Waterthrushes, and remember, for every singing male there is a mate.  Biggest
problem is, they are so loud  you can hear them a long ways off,  and now
I'm sometimes hearing 4 or 5 of a species at one time to it's hard to  keep
track. I don't think all the BT Greens are back yet and there are already a
lot.
5 FOY's today, including 1 Yale Forest first for me, and  probably LOY too,
a White-throated Sparrow that decided to sing in my ear.  Probably a late
migrant on his way north.
Prairie Warbler is unusual for me there, and this one is in odd  habitat I
think, a swamp, but it's the 2nd one I've found there and this one  gave me
a great look today.
I think my first Blackburnian is an old friend because I've had  one in the
same spot for several years, and it always sings the same  "alternative"
song.
Ticks are still terrible though probably not quite as bad as a  few weeks
ago. Don't go off the road if you don't have to.

Apr 28, 2017 8:30 AM  - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
11.0 mile(s)
Comments:      Numbers of birds and species increasing daily. More
Waterthrushes in the YMF  than I have ever found before. For the most part my count
is only singing males,  but I assume there is a mate for every one. (1 F
NOWA included today)
44  species

Mallard  4
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey  Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk   2
Mourning Dove  13
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy  Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker   1
Least Flycatcher  4
Eastern Phoebe  20
Blue-headed  Vireo  17     More every day. Best year I've ever had for
them in BHYF already
Blue Jay  15
Common Raven  2   2 adults at the nest. When one comes in with food there
is such a  ruckus I have to assume I'm hearing the nestlings also
Tree Swallow   7
Black-capped Chickadee  25
Tufted Titmouse   15
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper  4
Winter  Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  6     FOY for me. I  always have trouble finding the
first one but today I heard them in several  locations.
Eastern Bluebird  2
Hermit Thrush  1
American  Robin  18
Louisiana Waterthrush  17     More every  day. Best year I've ever had for
them in BHYF already. Some in locations I've  never found them in before.
Northern Waterthrush  10
Black-and-white  Warbler  11
Common Yellowthroat  1      FOY
Blackburnian Warbler  1     FOY I've heard an early  bird in this spot for
several years and he always sings the alternative  song.
Pine Warbler  30     Another best year ever for me.  The pines are just
loaded with them. This is a fraction of the actual number  present, just in the
area I cover.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  25
Prairie  Warbler  1     FOY very rare bird in BHYF. I think only the  third
or 4th I've had. Good looks at this 1 in the swamp on Barlow Mill  Rd.
Black-throated Green Warbler  15     More every day.  Starting to look like
a great year for  BT Greens But there are always lots  in BHYF
Chipping Sparrow  25
White-throated Sparrow  1   FOY and first ever for me in BHYF must be a
late migrant going  north.
Song Sparrow  6
Eastern Towhee  10
Northern  Cardinal  6