[CT Birds] Possible Eastern Towhee x Spotted Towhee at Bluff Point Groton

Joel Bard bard.joel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 02:10:04 EDT 2017

Hi-

I believe I saw a hybrid Towhee on the main trail near the parking lot at
Bluff Point State Park on Thursday evening 4/27.  eBird report with
pictures at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36376499.  I'd be
interested to get comments on whether people think this is correct as there
have been very few sightings of this hybrid on the east coast. I don't live
nearby and can't return to look again any time soon.  Interestingly, there
was a cluster of sightings of a Spotted Towhee nearby in New London in
2006.  Perhaps this is a descendant.

Best,

Joel