[CT Birds] Yale Forest

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 22:24:59 EDT 2017

I have a boilerplate response to requests for information about  the Yale
Forest. Apparently it's too long to fit in a reply to CTBirds, so I'll  break
it down into 2 parts.
Part 1:
Glad  to see you're interested in Boston Hollow and the Yale Forest. Here
are some  directions and information about it.
The  Yale Forest is owned by Yale University and managed by their School of
Forestry  & Environmental Studies. It is open to the public and the
accessible roads  are town roads of Ashford, Eastford and Union. Boston Hollow and
Barlow Mill  roads are dirt but very easily passible with any vehicle.
If  you are coming from I-84 south, take exit 72, Rt 89, Ashford-Westford,
and  follow Rt 89 South. Note a sharp left turn at a stop sign with a
flashing light.  You will come to a 2nd stop sign where 89 makes a sharp RIGHT
turn.  Straight ahead at that intersection is the  beginning of Boston Hollow
Road. It becomes dirt in about ¼ mile. Follow  birding directions below.
If  you are heading north on I-84 take exit 71, Ruby Road. Head northeast
(left)  from exit 71 on Rt 320. Continue straight where Rt 320 goes left over
a bridge  and you will be on Turnpike Rd. Follow it until you Come to Rt 89
at a flashing  light. Follow 89 to the next stop sign, where 89 turns
right. Go straight ahead  onto Boston Hollow Road. Follow birding directions
If  you are on US Rt 44 east go about 1 mile past the junction with Rt 74,
to the  first traffic light at Rt 89. Take 89 north (left turn) and go
roughly 4  miles (a guess) until you come to a stop sign. At that point 89 goes
sharp left,  but to the right is Boston Hollow Road. Take it and go about 1/4
mile, to an  intersection where a paved road (Eastford Rd) goes right and
Boston Hollow Rd  turns to dirt and is straight ahead.
>From 44 west  turn right at the light onto Rt 89 and follow the  above.
>From the  Willimantic area and south follow Rt 89 off of Rt 195 out of
Willimantic and  follow the above when you cross US Rt 44.
Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct