[CT Birds] Connecticut Young Birders Club: World Series of Birding!

Brendan Murtha bmskua at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 26 18:17:32 EDT 2017

Hello all!

Next weekend, for the second year in a row, the Connecticut Young Birders Club “Darth Waders” will be participating in the World Series of Birding down in Cape May, NJ. This year, our team will consist of myself (Brendan Murtha), Alex Burdo, Jory Teltser, and Preston Lust. We’ll be confining our big day to within the border of Cape May County, like last year.

For those of you who don’t know, The World Series of Birding is more than just a friendly competition. It is a huge fundraising opportunity, and brings in tens of thousands of dollars each year for conservation and birding related organizations across the globe. Each team typically selects a recipient for their raised funds, and this year the Club has chosen SHARP: the Saltmarsh Habitat and Avian Research Program. This program, made up of researchers from several east coast universities (including our own Mr. Chris Elphick, from UConn), is on the front line when it comes to work with imperiled species like the Saltmarsh Sparrow. The Club recently adopted Saltmarsh Sparrow as our poster bird (it appears on our new logo), and due to its critical conservation condition we can think of no program that would be a better recipient for the money we raise. 80% of funds will of to SHARP, while the other 20% will help with Club administrative duties including field trips and outreach. We are student-run, after all.

If any of you would like to support our effort, please click on this link:

http://www.worldseriesofbirding.org/teampage.asp?fundid=1096 <http://www.worldseriesofbirding.org/teampage.asp?fundid=1096>

Once on our team page, click the “donate” tab and select our team (The Connecticut Young Birders Club Darth Waders). We’d really appreciate any support— all amounts are appreciated. The donation can come in a lump sum or in an amount-per-bird pledge. If you choose the latter, we’ll contact you after the big day with a report of how many species we recorded. For reference, last year we tallied 150 species, and we expect more this year (we were bogged down with several logistical nightmares last year— to make a long story short.) 

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let me, Alex, Jory or Preston know. If the link or website is acting glitchy, please let us know as well.

Thanks in advance for your enthusiasm and support.


Brendan Murtha
CYBC President

More information about the CTBirds mailing list