[CT Birds] [External] Re: Migrants galore

David F Provencher (Generation - 4) david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Apr 28 10:10:47 EDT 2017

Brian, the term "trap" simply refers to a geographical/topographical land feature that tends to attract migrants. While in use for many many years, the term "trap" is probably not as elucidating as the term "lure" might be. Most of our songbirds are nocturnal migrants, and when morning comes (actually starting prior to dawn) these migrants look for a place to land, rest, and forage. Many find themselves over unsuitable habitat, even out over Long Island Sound, and they move to the nearest available friendly habitat. When this happens along the CT shore we can see some real concentrating of migrants, hence the great locations like East Rock Park, Hammonasset Beach State Park, Sherwood Island State Park, etc. On Spring mornings when there is coastal fog, these places will often see birds continually straggle in all morning long. I remember years ago standing by one tree on the lawn at Harkness in Waterford on a foggy May morning and watching 14 different warbler species land and move inland in less than 30 or 40 minutes.

Coastal "traps" seem to perform best but parks and cemeteries in cities, as well as public water reservoirs and even powerlines along ridgelines often act as traps as well. It's a great time of year to bird, good luck!

Dave Provencher