[CT Birds] Pumpkin Hill Road, Chaplin

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 30 07:54:29 EDT 2017

Following up on Ron's CTbirds post about the Chaplin red-headed woodpecker ... This is the same bird that was found by Nick Russo on the Storrs CBC and it has been very consistently in the same small group of trees ever since. This spot also offers a good opportunity to get a CT woodpecker full house. Yesterday I had 6 species within 50 m of my car, but did have to walk a few 100 yards to the pond to get sapsucker.

This morning I also had a male cerulean, which has been reliable in the same trees that the red-head uses the past couple of years.  Lots of other newly arrived migrants along the road too.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT