[CT Birds] Bird ID

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue May 2 19:38:41 EDT 2017

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 17:17:24 -0400
From:  <holmses at cox.net>
To: Mntncougar at aol.com
Cc: Don Morgan via CTBirds  <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] ID help  Please

Looks kind of Shovelerish. did it appear  small?

 My impression was that it might have been slightly  smallish for a female
Mallard, but at a couple of hundred feet away and no other  birds around for
comparison I'm afraid that determination is way above my pay  grade. Three
things that bother me most are, 1. overall light gray appearance,  really
almost white with black streaks, 2. what looks to me like a blackish or  very
dark cap that extends right on to the bill, and 3. not a sign that I can
see of a blue wing patch. I have almost 100 pics of the bird and nothing but
the  blackish streaking on light gray shows in any of them that I can see.
Actually,  if anything, that blackish cap might be a sign of a male, but
nothing else is.  The pic where the bird came partially out of the water seems to
show a pinkish  yellow leg, but that fits several ducks including Mallard,
Black  and Shoveler.

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct