[CT Birds] Hammo early entry

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sun May 7 22:38:37 EDT 2017

    Program to Allow Early Access for Birders Continues This Season

DEEP Director of Parks and Outdoor Recreation Tom Tyler is pleased to
announce that the program to allow birders and photographers early access,
to Hammonasset Beach State Park mirroring the access currently permitted
for fishing.  Unfortunately due to the severe budget cuts to Parks and
Recreation, the program will only run from Memorial Day weekend through
Labor Day weekend.

Such early access will be permitted to birders in possession of a current
(2017) Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation (Duck) Stamp and bird
watching gear.  The Duck Stamps cost $17.00 and can be obtained at most
Town Clerk’s offices and at many retail outlets.  The following link has
information on the Duck Stamp and a link to outlets for purchase.  Note:
Do not try to heat laminate this piece of paper as it renders it unreadable!

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&Q=492150&deepNav_GID=1655%20#History

This is how it will work:

The gate is manned 24/7 during the summer.  Permits are available from 5:30
p.m. to 6:30 a.m.  Due to the fact that beachgoers begin lining up for 8:00
a.m. entry by 6:30 a.m., no entry will be allowed between the hours of 6:30
a.m. and 8:00 a.m. You may leave the park, but not enter.  Please note that
the pass does not entitle the bearer to entry for recreational use such as
beach going.

person in the car must possess a Duck Stamp with the exception of children
under 16 years of age. You would arrive at the main gate, show your Duck
Stamp and bird watching gear, enter the office to sign the log, and receive
a pass.  You would already need to have purchased a duck stamp (available
on-line), as DEEP does not have the capability to sell them anywhere in the
park.  There is no charge for the permit.  This permit is to be displayed
on the dashboard of the car.

*Access is limited!  *To avoid disturbing campers, access will be limited
to the following areas:

Birders will be allowed to stop for bird viewing and photography from the
East Beach parking lot, and further east to Meigs Point.  For birders
accessing East Beach parking area, and also birding along the road from
East Beach to Meigs, we will ask that folks remain in the near vicinity of
their cars.  As previously discussed, we will also authorize birding
activities in the general Meigs Point, Willard Island area.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut