[CT Birds] Quiet day, probably the weather, still 2 FOY; Note of interest

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon May 1 14:30:16 EDT 2017

FOY Spotted Sandpiper and Barred Owl. A couple of Broadwings  flirting or
fighting. First female Towhee of the year, with 2 suitors sitting on  bare
branches, spreading tails and wings and singing  enthusiastically.
There has been a dead porcupine next to Boston Hollow Road  since I first
went up there in March, and for a long time it was frozen into a  snow bank
and ice in the swamp. But recently it has started to have a bit of an  odor,
and yesterday I noticed it was getting rather rank.
On the way out I stopped on  to talk to some other birders  about 100 yards
from the carcass, and while there,  2 Turkey Vultures  were  circling close
and low, rather persistently. Thought maybe they were  interested in us.
But today it appeared the porcupine was gone, only a  depression left where it
had been lying. But closer inspection showed that the  skin and quills were
still there and nothing else, not even bones. I suspect  those TVs dined
well, soon after we left.
May 1, 2017 7:45 AM  - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments:      Quiet day. probably due to weather, but still 2 FOY
46 species

Wood  Duck  2
Mallard  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey  Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk  3     2 interacting; 1  landed in tree, the other dove
on it and they both fell out of sight to the  ground. Looked like a fight but
I believe courtship. Seen soon after circling  together and calling loudly.
Spotted Sandpiper  1      FOY
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  1     FOY. heard  from a long distance, up in the plateau NE of
Bigelow Brook
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker   1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Least  Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  8
Blue-headed Vireo   10
Blue Jay  20
American Crow  1
Tree Swallow   2
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  10
Brown  Creeper  3
Winter Wren  4
Eastern Bluebird  1
Hermit  Thrush  6
American Robin  15
Gray Catbird   2
Ovenbird  15     Quiet day or the number would be much  higher
Louisiana Waterthrush  4
Northern Waterthrush   7
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  10
Common  Yellowthroat  2
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler   4
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Pine Warbler   5
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5
Black-throated Green Warbler   15
Chipping Sparrow  12
Song Sparrow  6
Eastern Towhee   11     First female of season seen, with 2 suitors
Northern  Cardinal  5
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Brown-headed Cowbird   12
American Goldfinch  10