[CT Birds] Sunrise Birding Walk to Wilcox Park, Milford

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Wed May 3 14:51:38 EDT 2017

Hi All,
We had a wonderful morning touring the lovely Wilcox Park along the edge of Milford Harbor this morning. Our intrepid group of birders tallied 58 species. Highlights included wonderful comparisons between Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs feeding on the mudflats, 3 adult bald eagles, 2 of which were courting over town, dipping and swooping around together putting on quite a show. We were also treated to a migrating flock of 80 DC Cormorants soaring overhead as the gained altitude and headed west. But, the biggest thrill was watching 4 male Black-throated Blue Warblers feeding together in a magnolia tree at eye level followed shortly after by nice views of singing N. Parula, American Redstart, and Black-and-white Warblers. We also heard a Blackpoll Warbler which is on the early side.

Two walks are scheduled for tomorrow. One meets at Silver Sands State Park at 7:30 a.m., the other is at East Rock and meets at 5:30 p.m. at the Eli Whitney Museum parking lot. For more details on all the walks and to register visit the Sunrise Birding, LLC page at http://www.sunrisebirding.com/calendar.htm.

Frank Gallo,
Sunrise Birding, LLC
Birding with Gallo: http://www.sunrisebirding.com/walks_Gallo.htm
Life is short. Bird often.