[CT Birds] Sunrise Birding Walk at Silver Sands State Park this morning

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu May 4 14:17:48 EDT 2017

Hi all,
Our dedicated group of birders explored Silver Sands State Park this morning and were rewarded with a host of wonderful birds. We tallied 64 species. Highlights included great looks at 2-3 young male Orchard Orioles feeding in the blossoms of crab apples along the road, mostly at eye-level, singing Prairie Warbler and Field Sparrow, and glimpses of a shy but rather vocal male Bobolink! We also heard a RN Pheasant, saw 3 Solitary Sandpipers, a Cooper's Hawk, Harrier and soaring adult Bald Eagle. 2 Glossy Ibis flew past on their way to the Coastal Center from Charles Island and a Common Loon flew right over our heads going north. This afternoon's walk is at East Rock at 5:30 p.m. We hope to see migrants along the river. There is a walk tomorrow and two on Sunday, weather permitting. I'll see folks later today.

Frank Gallo,
Sunrise Birding, LLC
Walks: http://www.sunrisebirding.com/calendar.htm
Life is short. Bird often.