[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 10 16:48:34 EDT 2017

5/10 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  10:15 am-1PM  high tide
rising, 57-60F, overcast.
At 10:15, female osprey is on the nest -3 eggs, laid, 5/3.5/6,5/8.  Male on
the perch.
Male left around 10:30,assumed to go fishing, and had not returned when I
left at 1PM.  There were 3 interloper ospreys circling the nest around
noon, all flew off.  Female was calling for the male (food) late morning
til I left.
About 207 Brant throughout the marsh, 13 Mute swans, 15 D.C.Cormorants, 2
Least terns fishing, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Great egrets, 1 Snowy egret, 1
female Red breasted merganser and 2 Tree swallows flying over marsh.
Purple martins at the gourd condo, .
On grounds:  3 Mourning doves, 1 Mockingbird, 1 American Robin, 2 Song
sparrows, 1 Starling,  2 Red winged blackbirds, 4 House sparrows, 8 Common
grackles.
There were small aircraft coming in every 5-10 minutes from east to west
over the marsh.
This is the first time I have noticed a continuous pattern of small
planes.  Usually just a few over the course of the morning.
Bev Propen, Orange.
P.S.  The osprey nest at Old Tavern Rd baseball fields in Orange has a male
osprey on it today with a reconstructed nest.  I haven't been able to
observe it the past two weeks, since I was out of town.  However no female
osprey was observed.