[CT Birds] Lyme birds

David Provencher provedf at comcast.net
Mon May 8 13:02:02 EDT 2017

Spent the morning birding/hiking Nehantic State Forest as well as briefly
stopping at Hartman Park and the powerline cut on Gungy Road, all in Lyme.
Rather quiet. Highlights were 14 species of warbler, a Swainson's Thrush, an
adult male Orchard Oriole, an immature male Orchard Oriole, and both
Black-billed and Yellow-billed Cuckoos. Nehantic State Forest has always
been a much better place for Yellow-billed than Black-billed, so getting an
excellent view of a unexpected Black-billed was a bit of a treat. I heard 4
Yellow-billed today. The only non-resident warblers were a single
Black-throated Blue, a single Yellow-rumped, and 4 Northern Parulas.

A word of caution, the forest road is damaged by overflow at the swamp on
the Keeny Road end and would be quite a challenge to cross in an ordinary
car. I have a 4x4 truck and had no issues.

Dave Provencher