[CT Birds] 18 species of warbler... 2 short of goal for day

David Provencher provedf at comcast.net
Fri May 12 17:28:12 EDT 2017

I decided to make a run at 20 species of warbler for today. It's a pointless
goal but it's fun and I've been doing it every Spring for a year or two. or
twenty five. Anyway it was a brutal day to try with nearly no passage
migrants and I fell 2 species short. I searched specific habitats for
targeted warbler species. Some of the highlights for the day:

Powerline cut of Gungy Road in Lyme: 5 singing Cerulean Warblers, 8+ Prairie
Warblers, 2 Yellow-billed Cuckoos, 2 Field Sparrows

Beaverbrook Road about a tenth of a mile from intersection with Rte 156 in
Lyme, singing Cerulean Warbler

Hammonasset State Park: Adult and immature Little Blue Heron, Black-throated
Blue Warbler male, Northern Parula 1 male 2 female, Prairie Warbler female,
2 Red-breasted Nuthatches

Nehantic State Forest Lyme unit: Black-billed Cuckoo and Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, Hooded Warbler male

Nehantic State Forest East Lyme unit: Acadian Flycatcher continues,
Louisiana Waterthrush

Powerline cut off Rte 82 in Montville: White-eyed Vireo and 4 Field Sparrows

Pachaug State Forest in Voluntown: 2 singing Hermit Thrush (breed here), 11
Black-throated Green Warblers, Canada Warbler on territory.

Tough day of searching for things that weren't there!

Dave Provencher