[CT Birds] East Rock Pairings

Jan Hollerbach smilifase at gmail.com
Mon May 15 08:49:12 EDT 2017

Above Rice Field in Hamden yesterday, 2 Worm-eating Warblers in the same
tree, a female Baltimore Oriole gathering nesting material and a calling
male Woodthrush which led us (via binoculars) to a female on nest.  It
would appear there is much going on in the way of producing the next
generation.  On a different note, a female Cowbird flew in and seemed quite
intent on watching the female Baltimore Oriole.  I know, I know, they have
to survive as well, but still........

On the trails from the museum, we got nice looks at 2 Northern Waterthrush
(thanks to Steven Broker!!!) and a Solitary Sandpiper.

It was still pretty cool and windy in the morning, so many birds were
likely hunkered under their down comforters, something that seemed rather
appealing, frankly.

Jan Hollerbach with Rachel Keneally and Janet Messick