[CT Birds] 23 species warbler SE CT, nice day

David Provencher provedf at comcast.net
Wed May 17 15:37:09 EDT 2017

Well the dam did indeed break. While scouting for a big day I tallied 23
species of warbler and several other nice birds. Virtually everywhere I
stopped I had either Northern Parulas or Magnolias, or both. Some of the
highlights:

Birch Street in Salem, 1 Bay-breasted Warbler, 1 White-eyed Vireo (I have
found six White-eyed so far this year, not counting two breeders I know of
that I haven't checked out yet. SE CT has a decent number of these)

Powerlines on Gungy Road, Least Flycatchers, Black-billed Cuckoo, Green
Heron, 2 Blackpoll, and the continuing Ceruleans. And numbers of Magnolias
and Parulas, as well a Swainson's Thrush.

Nehantic State Forest Lyme Unit, Wilson's Warbler behind the swamp on Keeney
Road end (Forest road still not easily passable to passenger cars. if at
all), 2 Ceruleans, Hooded Warbler, Blackpoll, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 2
Peewees, Indigo Bunting. And Parulas and Magnolias all over.

Nehantic State Forest East Lyme Unit, Yellow-billed Cuckoo and the
continuing Acadian Flycatcher.

Devil's Hopyard State Park, 3 calling Acadian Flycathers, several
Black-throated Green Warblers.