[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw, yale Forest, 5/20 and 21, 17: forest gone Cuckoo

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun May 21 18:50:27 EDT 2017

This post is for 2 days, 5/20 and 5/21. It is obviously getting  quieter
now, almost daily, with counts down for many species.
However, I did have one FOY, with 2 Black-billed Cuckoos  yesterday and
again today, at different locations. Today there were 2 calling  back and forth
across a field. I may have heard a third one today, but too brief  and
faint to be sure. I was told that there were 2 BB Cuckoos at Spring Manor  Farm
yesterday, as well, so a wave is going through.
Less birds detected does not necessarily mean less birds  present in some
cases. This is the nesting period for many species and they tend  to go quiet
during that time. It will be interesting to see if more appear again  when
the young fledge.

BB Cuckoo pics here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a9d1r9tjp2vfpl9/AABhcyeTwls7WG9E89M4I79pa?dl=0

May 20, 2017 7:30 AM  - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
55 species

Great Blue  Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk   1
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  10
Black-billed  Cuckoo  2     FOY, both calling, good pictures and recording
of one
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  2
Least Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe   15
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Blue-headed Vireo  7
Warbling  Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo  14
Blue Jay  15
Common  Raven  1
Tree Swallow  5
Black-capped Chickadee   15
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown  Creeper  1
Winter Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird   1
Veery  12
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  12
Gray  Catbird  10
Ovenbird  30
Louisiana Waterthrush   5
Northern Waterthrush  5
Blue-winged Warbler   2
Black-and-white Warbler  10
Common Yellowthroat   15
American Redstart  6
Magnolia Warbler  3
Blackburnian  Warbler  4
Yellow Warbler  15
Chestnut-sided Warbler   7
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Pine Warbler   4
Black-throated Green Warbler  12
Canada Warbler  3
Chipping  Sparrow  12
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  8
Scarlet  Tanager  8
Northern Cardinal  7
Rose-breasted Grosbeak   1
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Brown-headed Cowbird  10
Baltimore  Oriole  12
American Goldfinch  5

View this checklist online  at

May 21, 2017 7:15 AM  - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
48 species

Great Blue  Heron  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   8
Black-billed Cuckoo  2     two for  2nd day in a  row. Both at same brushy
field (logging cut) at opposite sides, Called back and  forth at each other.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5     3  at 39 Barlow Mill
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee   2
Least Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  12
Great Crested  Flycatcher  5
Blue-headed Vireo  10
Warbling Vireo   5
Red-eyed Vireo  10
Blue Jay  8
Common Raven  2   Probably more. The birds were about half a mile south of
the nest  area, calling constantly and making a ruckus. I suspect the young
fledged today  (it is a few days earlier than normal) and the family has
moved along the  Hollow. Sounded like the parents might have been giving
encouragement and the  young calling back. In the past i have seen them on their
first day and they  spend a lot of time sitting and "talking", then taking
short flights.
Tree  Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse   8