[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:46:32 EDT 2017

5/17 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  9:30am-1PM, sunny,
80-85F, low tide rising.
At the Purple Martin condos, I observed 16 purple martins in and around the
gourds, but I am told that there are around 35.
The male osprey was on his perch at 9:30am eating a fish.  Female was on
the nest the entire morning. There is some blue rope and what appears to be
a blue stick or pen in the nest.
On the Long Island sound side:
4 Black bellied plovers, 2 Willets flew over, 1 Piping plover ,2 Greater
yellow legs and many Tree swallows, several occupying nest boxes.
On the marsh:
150 Brant came in as the tide was rising,
21 Mute Swans, 9 Snowy Egrets, 5 Great egrets, 8 D.C. Cormorants, 3 Least
Terns fishing,  22 Dunlins, Least Sandpipers, 7 Semipalmated Plovers,  2
Black ducks, 1 Mallard.

On grounds: Flock of 17 Cedar Waxwings,  1 Warbling vireo singing in front,
15 common grackles, 2 Catbirds, 4 robins, 2 Cardinals (male & female),
starling, Mockingbird, Mourning doves, 2 Song sparrows, House finch,
Goldfinch, Baltimore oriole singing and lots of House sparrows.
Bev Propen
Orange