[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Fri 5-19-17; Swainson's Thrushes.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri May 19 16:55:21 EDT 2017

Though not much else is new recently, it appears there has been  a fall-out
of Swainson's thrushes. After reporting 1 three days ago and  apparently
re-finding it yesterday I saw 3 more today, all with good enough  looks to be
sure and 2 with ok to mediocre pics. All were far enough away from  each
other that I have no doubt they are not the same bird.
I am now wondering if yesterday's bird was the same as  previous or not. In
any event I have now seen 4 or 5 of them in the last 3 days.  Considering I
never found even one there before that's quite an event for  me.
These birds have the same habit as do the Veerys and Hermit  Thrushes in
BHYF; they come right out in the middle of the roadways,  foraging. There are
so many Veerys and Hermits that it is easy to overlook  them, but at the
same time it gives a great comparison of the species, since  typically I saw a
Swainsons and one of the others at the same time. In contrast  to the other
2 the Swainsons appear uniformly dark brown, with no difference in  color
between the body and the tail. Even from a distance the Swainsons appear
noticeably darker overall.
And the face is very unique, with a definite spectacled look  from an off
white eye ring and a buffy line above and forward of the eye. It  gives them
a sort of surprised look, to me.
I don't know enough about Swainsons to know if that number is a  common
occurrence around here, but it certainly is not for  me.
May 19, 2017 7:15 AM  - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Comments:      A little better than yesterday, but 3 new Swainson's
Thrushes. Appears there was  a fall-out of them, although nothing else.
53 species

Turkey  Vulture  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Mourning Dove   10
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Eastern Phoebe   15
Great Crested Flycatcher  8
Blue-headed Vireo  12   Very good year for them. Still singing but less
Warbling Vireo  8
Red-eyed Vireo   10
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   3
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  12
Brown  Creeper  1
Winter Wren  3
Eastern Bluebird   1
Veery  13
Swainson's Thrush  3     This  probably makes 4 I've seen in 3 days. Good
enough views to leave no  doubt.
Hermit Thrush  8
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird   14