[CT Birds] Stratford Point Western Sandpiper

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri May 19 21:48:20 EDT 2017

There was at least one Western Sandpiper in a group of about 5,000 Semipalmated Sandpipers at Stratford Point this afternoon.  There were also at least 3 White-rumped Sandpipers in the group and one hendersonii Short-billed Dowitcher in a group of about 10 Short-billed Dowitchers and some Black-bellied Plovers.  Other shorebirds included, Dunlin, Ruddy Turnstone, Semipalmated Plover, Spotted Sandpipers and flyby American Oystercatchers.

Please watch your step if you are viewing the shorebirds from the dirt path.  There are 4 Killdeer chicks running around and also the shorebird flock is quite flighty.  It is best to approach the shoreline slowly and figure out where the flock is and the best viewing vantage point rather than just sticking your head up and scaring off the whole flock.

Donna Caporaso had a flock of about 50 White-winged Scoters fly by this evening. Yesterday there were two Willets doing display flights over the field near the office.  They are usually only fly-bys at the Point.   Stefan Martin and I had at least two Forster's Terns fly by as well.

Phone: (203)405-9115

Your Legacy is Audubon’s Future!