[CT Birds] West Haven shearwater sp.

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Sat May 20 17:25:25 EDT 2017

All, I just had a shearwater flypast me from west to east, scene from what used to be called St. John's by the Sea Church in West Haven.  I had the burden of you for about 30 to 45 seconds, and I'm tentatively calling it either a Manx or in Audubon's Shearwater.  Anyone birding the sound west of there, as in Milford, Stratford or locations even further west, might want to keep your eyes open.  Just moments before, there was a small group of three black scoters that flew by.

I am calling the ID tentative because I want to review what I saw and try to rule out even weirder species that I may not be thinking of. Of the shearwaters, I am certain that it was not a Greater, Cory's, or Sooty.   This occurred at approximately 5 PM this evening.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

Sent from my iPhone