[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, 5-25-17; 3 FOY, new season high

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat May 27 22:52:32 EDT 2017

Day started out really slow, cloudy, damp and cold. But when  the sun came
out so did the birds, probably as sick of the rain as I am. 3 FOY,  finally
a yellow-billed Cuckoo, thanks to a friend, Worm-eating Warbler  (possibly
2, not certain of the 2nd one) and the first Acadian Flycatcher in 2  years,
300 yards down the road from where they used to nest. Called  repeatedly and
gave me a good show. 64 total is a new high for this season  for me.

Acadian Flycatcher pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ygd0p8no4x7590l/AAD37ifIfXv0Pay_OslAP8z_a?dl=0

Acadian Flycatcher call: The bird only called every 45 seconds  or so, and
I have edited out large sections of miscellaneous  sounds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4anoa67zdps2th/170527_05%20BH%20-%20Acadian%20Fly
%202%20ED%201.mp3?dl=0

Acadian Flycatcher  "twitter": I learned something new  today. In addition
to their 2 note call they have a quiet little twitter which  they do each
time they fly and settle onto a branch. Like a Least Flycatcher,  they land
very delicately, hovering over the branch then settling lightly down  onto it.
But they, or at least this bird, make this sound every time they do. I
took a series of these calls off my recording and put them together. Lots of
background noise so the quality is poor, but you can hear the little  song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpnls0sqh6481ux/Acadian%20Flycatcher%20landing%20t
witter.mp3?dl=0

May 27, 2017 7:15 AM  - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Comments:      BH was like a tomb early, but with the sun out the forest
came alive, although  some areas were a lot more active than BH
64 species

Great Blue  Heron  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk   1
Mourning Dove  9
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1      FOY for me in BHYF. Only other one was in my
yard.
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker   3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian  Flycatcher  1     FOY and 1st 1 in two years for me at BHYF.  300
yards from where they used to nest.
Least Flycatcher  2
Eastern  Phoebe  10
Great Crested Flycatcher  6
Blue-headed Vireo   9
Warbling Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  15
Blue Jay   10
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  3
Black-capped  Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  12
White-breasted Nuthatch   1
Brown Creeper  2
Winter Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird   2
Veery  10
Hermit Thrush  2
Wood Thrush  2
American  Robin  15
Gray Catbird  15
European Starling  4
Cedar  Waxwing  10
Ovenbird  25
Worm-eating Warbler  1   FOY - same location as Acadian F and YBCU
Louisiana  Waterthrush  3
Northern Waterthrush  3
Blue-winged Warbler   2
Black-and-white Warbler  6
Common Yellowthroat  8
American  Redstart  7
Magnolia Warbler  3
Blackburnian Warbler   4
Yellow Warbler  8
Chestnut-sided Warbler  7
Black-throated  Blue Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  3
Prairie Warbler  1   In the Axe Factory cut. First I've had there but
always expected  one.
Black-throated Green Warbler  12
Canada Warbler   2
Chipping Sparrow  5