[CT Birds] Press release from USFWS

William Freedberg 4mrfish at gmail.com
Tue May 23 18:29:12 EDT 2017

Hi all,

The press release Paul shared ignores the fact that the National Wildlife
Refuge system will lose 14 million dollars under President Trump's proposed

***The fact that Paul posted this leads me to believe that this listserv is
an appropriate place to share information about funding for bird-related
conservation programs.*** Therefore, I'd like to offer some important
details of the budget to keep in mind.  While the FWS is obligated to not
object to anything the president does, this budget will do immense damage
to our country's NWRs and environmental programs.  You may read about the
extent of this damage at the following links:

The cuts include:

   12% budget cut for the Department of the Interior, which already
   operates under a roughly $12 billion maintenance backlog on National Park
   Service land. The cuts include at least $120 million in cuts to the crucial
   and popular Land and Water Conservation Fund. In contrast, Trump's budget
   calls for the agency to spend more on energy extraction

   31% budget cut for the Environmental Protection Agency, trashing dozens
   of pollution reduction, energy efficiency and environmental cleanup
   programs. As one long-time EPA employee told The Washington Post
   spending proposals are "akin to taking away the agency’s bread and water.”

   Unspecified cuts
   the U.S. Forest Service, which is already chronically strained by the
   need to divert funds from various important programs in order to fight
   wildfires. The agency has also had its budget for roads and trails programs
   cut repeatedly in recent years.

   $100 million in cuts to NASA's earth science programs
   part of a widely reported push to cut back on the agency's
   change research and monitoring.

   17% budget cut for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
   (NOAA), doing severe damage to U.S. weather forecasting and climate
   study capacity
   When likely proposed cuts to NOAA were reported earlier this month, one
   expert likened the Trump administration's budget approach to "giving a
   15-year-old kid a whole bunch of coffee
   and then giving them a machete and asking them to do surgery.”

   $900 million in cuts to the Department of Energy's science office
   as well as entirely eliminating the Advanced Research Projects
   Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) program, which invests in research and development
   of new energy technologies.

William Freedberg