[CT Birds] My rose-breasted grosbeaks

Robert Maleski Maleski at msn.com
Wed May 24 10:51:17 EDT 2017

2015 and 2016 I had four pairs, with each of the four males and the four females at my feeders visible at the same time .  This year I have counted three males and one female.  An hour ago the three males were on the same feeder so close to each other that they could have passed a seed between them.

Only once did I see two males in a chase away mode. Usually they calmly tolerate each other.

In my case, in Ellington, the grosbeaks definitely prefer safflower seed over black oil sunflower seed, although when the feeders are busy they certainly eat a lot of sunflower seed too.