[CT Birds] Cockenoe Island Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 14:58:01 EDT 2017

Westport- Cockenoe Island- (by boat)- 11 Black Skimmers roosting on the Tern nesting bar along with a Bonaparte's Gull and many shorebirds, we once again had 16 Glossy Ibis fly in from the east and land in the rookery area.
We conservatively counted 300 Common Terns, probably were more.

We were saddened to find only 7 young American Oystercatchers, and all nests that had not hatched yet were lost due to the extreme high tides and strong east winds yesterday. We think 6 young birds were lost and we gained one juvenile since we were last there on 5/23/17.

Tina Green
with AJ Hand
Sent from my iPhone