[CT Birds] Flocks of spring arrivals, prairie warblers in Pachaug Forest (Griswold/Voluntown)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Mon May 29 14:24:22 EDT 2017

Yesterday a break in the action found the Trail II Rd area hosting hundreds of songbirds, from 201 past the start of Cutoff Rd. in Pachaug Forest north sector (Griswold/Voluntown).  Had plenty of looks too but this took leaving the road, which isn't much of a trade-off anyhow when a caterpillar can straight drop over 100' onto you if you're out in the open.  Usually I get most looks from the road but the birds weren't having to move much at all at this time.  Tens of ovenbirds, red-eyed vireos, towhees, veerys, catbirds, robins, cowbirds and red-winged blackbirds plus many eastern wood-pewees heard singing above the rest.  A flock of prairie warblers, approx. ten, left the understory for low hanging branches and as I kept scanning and jockeying position to see other warblers it was the prairies that appeared in view.   http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37228186

prairie warbler
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/34923628566/in/datetaken-public/

   Brian Williams      Griswold