[CT Birds] Barred Owl

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Wed May 31 19:38:55 EDT 2017

Had a Barred Owl in the section of Schnipsit State Forest near the Somers/Stafford town line this evening, around 7:00.  It flew into my view from a perch I think, crossed the dirt road, and then lit in a 40-foot hemlock about 250 feet away from me.  I just stood there and watched it in the Hemlock for about 3 minutes, and then the second I started walking again toward my car, it disappeared.  Best look ever for me with this species.  Ovenbirds, Veery and Hermit Thrush heard singing in many locations.

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Principal Consultant
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Dr., 3rd Floor