[CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, 5-31-17; FOY Am Woodcock

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed May 31 21:03:19 EDT 2017

For me, first ever American Woodcock in the Yale Forest. Like  all his
kind, would rather hide than run. Let me get within 8 feet of him.  I went late
and stayed late  because of the fog. Day started out slow but  ended up
pretty good. Lots less birds singing or showing now, but still lots of  species.
1 fuzzy white chick in the Red-shouldered Hawk nest. 1st time I've  seen
it. Last year 3 juvies fledged. The female seems to do it all herself. In 3
years I've never seen a male anywhere around the nest. Hoping for a couple
more  heads to pop up.

May 31, 2017 9:35 AM  - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
62 species

Great Blue  Heron  1
Osprey  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-shouldered  Hawk  2
Broad-winged Hawk  4
American Woodcock  1   My first ever in the Yale Forest
Mourning Dove   12
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker   2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  4