[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw, Yale Forest, 6-2-17, Ashford/Union: Golden Eagle. Really!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 18:40:52 EDT 2017

This is probably my surprise for the year. I am well aware that  this
sighting is out of date range/location, but the look I had was good enough  to be
certain. Below is my description from Ebird, which pretty much says it  all:
Juvenile or immature Golden Eagle. Bird was sighted north of  Boston
Hollow, Ashford, near the end of Boston Hollow Road. Very large, dark  bird with
extremely visible white patches in the middle of each wing  panel. Bird
never flapped a wing during 10 minutes of observation (sometimes  obscured by
trees).
It was being shadowed by 1 Red-tailed Hawk and 1  Broad-winged Hawk, both
of which looked quite small in comparison. The  Broad-wing, in particular,
repeatedly dove on the larger bird, which showed no  reaction whatsoever.  I
had a rather distant but very good look in bright  sunshine, which made the
white patches almost glow when the bird circled and the  undersides of the
wings were illuminated. I had no question on the  ID.

A second Acadian Flycatcher today also, in a new location. It  was over a
mile from the first one, which was still in the same  spot.

Also, after 8 years or so of never seeing one, a second  American Woodcock
in 2 trips,  this time in the middle of the road trying  to look invisible.
To simplify things I've added  pics of today's bird onto the end of the
file of the first bird. Last 5 pics are  new:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jksg4pj1ambaj5z/AAA1zV5lgbaq8Li5eWrWpZaOa?dl=0

Jun 2, 2017 7:50 AM  - 1:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
11.0 mile(s)
58 species

Golden  Eagle  1     Juvenile or immature Golden Eagle. Bird was  sighted
north of Boston Hollow, Ashford, near the end of Boston Hollow Road.  Very
large, dark bird with  extremely visible white patches in the middle  of each
wing panel. Bird never flapped a wing during 10 minutes of observation
(sometimes obscured by trees).
It was being shadowed by 1 Red-tailed Hawk  and 1 Broad-winged Hawk, both
of which looked quite small in comparison. The  Broad-wing, in particular,
repeatedly dove on the larger bird, which showed no  reaction whatsoever.  I
had a rather distant but very good look in bright  sunshine, which made the
white patches almost glow when the bird circled and the  undersides of the
wings were illuminated. I had no question on the  ID.
Red-shouldered Hawk  2     Adult and  nestling.
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American  Woodcock  1     2nd in 2 trips after never having one in the
area before. This time in the middle of the road, trying to hide by being
still.
Barred Owl  1     Calling near the Ashford/Union  line
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  2
Acadian Flycatcher  2     A second  bird found today, calling. More than a
mile from the original one, which was  still on site.
Least Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  12
Great  Crested Flycatcher  4
Blue-headed Vireo  4