[CT Birds] Fisher Meadows, Avon plus a goodie from yesterday in Hampton.

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 10:06:37 EDT 2017

This morning I encountered a very secretive mourning warbler in a very brushy Riverside area at Fisher Meadows Park in Avon. The bird didn't seem to be singing its complete song but was doing enough so that I picked it up. Seeing it was pretty difficult.

Brown thrashers have become a fairly difficult to find species in the Hartford area, but Fisher Meadows is a notable hold out spot for them. I was pleased to note two in fairly widely separated spaces, so hopefully that represents two different pairs of birds. In my travels I heard three yellow billed cuckoos in the park.  I'm sure many of you have noticed that this is a good year for Cuckoos. I've seen a lot of tent caterpillar action in the eastern part of the state in particular – I'm sure that until the inevitable spraying occurs cuckoos will be doing particularly well in that part of the state.

Yesterday while looking for insects in Hampton, I encountered a late Swainson's thrush. I don't believe I've ever seen one in Connecticut in June before.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

Sent from my iPhone