[CT Birds] Lower CT River night marsh birding

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 10:11:31 EDT 2017

Phil Rusch, Nick Bonomo, and I searched marshes in Essex, Old Saybrook, and Old Lyme last night from 9pm to 1am.  We covered only a percentage of quality territory and did not get to some known locations good for marsh  birds.  It was an interesting night with a lot of persistent territorial calling of Virginia Rails - 21 total including at least nine at one location.   Also of note was a King/Clapper Rail.  We had both cuckoos at one stop.  As expected, Marsh Wrens were ubiquitous, while Willow Flycatchers and Swamp Sparrows were vocal at several places.  Phil and I did a similar route last weekend and had less rails (no moon a factor?), but two Least Bitterns.  Three species of owls called spontaneously.  Little wind on both nights optimized listening range.

Glenn Williams
Mystic