[CT Birds] Interesting audio of a Wood Thrush

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon May 29 17:18:32 EDT 2017

Hearing the little twittering notes of the Acadian Flycatcher  the other
day reminded me of some recordings I made last year in Boston Hollow  on June
3rd. The bird is a Wood Thrush and I was never more than 8 to 15  feet away
when I recorded him. The secret to that is that there was a stone  wall
between us.
This is the song of this particular Thrush, but in addition to  the fluting
notes there are some other sounds. You can hear a quiet chattering  sound
and also a more forceful popping. They are mostly heard in the last  2/3 of
the recording.
These sounds seem to be actually a part of his song, just ones  that we
don't normally get to hear. When he stopped singing the sounds stopped  too,
even though he never moved to any extent. This bird was actually around for  a
week or more, and I think I heard him every morning I was there during that
 time. And I heard these sounds repeatedly, every time I stopped to listen
,  although it took a while to realize they were coming from  him.
Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct